Sunday, September 20, 2026

Thinking About Deb

Deb Passing Through

I’m thinking about my friend Deb, going into hospice. She’s a medical doctor and has done her best to treat her cancer with peer professionals. She’s been getting the most out of living. 

I got to join her at the Oregon coast this April on Earth Day, where she and her dog Shelby were enjoying the scene. For me and my dog Sydney, it was a day trip, action-packed. 

She later came through Portland and we attended the Amy Goodman film (with Amy herself on stage).

Mortality has always been a big topic for me, something I ponder, as part of the life experience. I’m far from unique in this regard, hah hah. It’s the human condition.

I first met Deb through my friend Russell Chu, who was to become her husband. Our respective families developed in parallel, our kids growing into adulthood. Lots of adventures.