I’m gonna recommend this one for helping us walk it back a few generations, to the 1940s, with “atomic secrets” the comic book focus, in Spy vs Spy. This one is about power dynamics among those in the know regarding fission (later fusion) as a power source, pre the whole Oppenheimer saga, or more accurately: concurrently.
I’m committing the sin of commenting before the movie is even finished, but on the other hand that’s a valid way to review a film: en progresso so to speak. I’m with the lady who just had the baby, and her wanting to blend in by being friendly with the neighbors. Doesn’t her guy know that being aloof and standoffish is a sure fire way to call attention to oneself?
I’m at the part where her guy has just come home from an emergency meeting or briefing or something, to find his wife, who has just given birth, on her feet and bustling around like nothing happened, while the nice neighbor lady cradles the newborn. The neighbor has just left and the guy is reprimanding his wife for fraternizing with the natives. He’s dumb dumb dumb. Hah hah.
Anyway, once I get this fully viewed and returned to Movie Madness I’m gonna check out what they have that’s Nepali. I have a reliable source telling me Nepali films of this era are well worth catching and I believe it. The question is: will MMU have anything that recent? Prolly not. I’m gonna have to look for a film festival for that kinda stuff.
I think what’s really confusing tongues today is the fact that the USSR is as no longer with us as MAGA isn’t. There’s this tendency to refight, or re-litigate as they say today, battles gone by. Capitalism versus Communism isn’t where the action is in this next epoch. We’re more focused on topics like climate change and global shipping. Pipelines. Grids. Satellite constellations. Global data.
Which reminds me, I haven’t seen much evidence of a United Nations in the plot so far. Not surprisingly, cuz the UN was still in the future back then, duh.
That’s when a lot got formalized, when the UN did. People forget that Third World meant nonaligned, meaning not party to the bipolarism then gripping the bipolarites. The nonaligned intended to stay out of the whole Capitalism vs Communism drama as both were alien Euro ideologies being transplanted willy-nilly, as if no other shoptalks could possibly pertain.
By now, most of that 1900s discourse is archival. It takes work to exhume the old mindsets and movies such as this one do an excellent job of prying open the tomb. I commend it to psychological anthropology syllabi.
