Saturday, September 05, 2026

The Dog Stars (movie review)

Which Movie?

I don’t recall ever seeing a preview for this one, despite my somewhat regular attendance of late, at The Bagdad, and even some other first run theaters, such as Minions 3 at Regal. A theme of late (HB2U officer Bader) is how my memory is more of a sieve than I remember, as I’d just seen Minions 1 in 3D (a discontinued home theater technology) and didn’t remember having seen it, and even reviewed it.

This film fits under Horror in the zombie movie tradition, as the baddies are pretty thoroughly dehumanized and violence against them is mostly low-balled as in “shooting fish in a barrel”. However the movie does build to a climax when the protagonist sets out in his Cessna (the main prop in this film) to trace a stray radio signal. By the time he gets there, he has an acquired a new family and is less suicidal than when he first lost his dog Jasper.

The radio signal leads them to a fully functional airport, on the face of it, although it proves somewhat of a hive mind, as expected. Darlene is the central figure and plays the iconic antagonist, I thought well. Having just been through Airport World (SeaTac and LAX), I was primed for this liminal space (just passing through).

Having done almost no research ahead of time, I did remember the word “uplifting” or something like that, prolly cuz the goodies don’t lose too many, but for the dog and in the flashbacks. The dehumanized don’t get a backstory. They’re reapers, kinda like in Serenity

Mennonites are among the goodies and represent humanity going forward, now immune to the apocalypse-causing virus. Given the setting is Colorado, there’s a humorous dig at neighboring Utah, given the supporting hero is phobic towards Mormons, which reminds me of another movie (also horror).