Sunday, July 16, 2006

BeerFest


Matt and I checked out the Portland Tribune's international beer fest in the north park blocks today. Is that really in the Pearl district? I suppose so.

The system was similar to Octoberfest's: buy a mug (in this case a small plastic sampling cup) with redeemable tickets (I forget how many).

The bottled beers averaged at about 3 tickets a shot. I tried some Achel Trappist Extra first off, pretty stiff for a beer at over 9%, and quite sweet. Hitachino Japanese Classic (draft) was at the other end of the sweet spectrum (still strong). Jolly Pumpkin's Oro de Calabaza had a piratically themed label.

This morning on the Math Forum I described some elements of an auditioning system for teachers wanting to make the grade.

I figure Portland could be for creative teachers what Nashville is for musicians, a place to strut your stuff and maybe sign with a label, go on tours.