Monday, July 08, 2024

Bat Cave

Does Radio Octopus only play tracks of creature noises? I just tuned in for the first time. Now we're on to bird sounds with piano. Somewhere in France.

I found myself explaining, to a newcomer at our Solstice Gathering, how Wanderers, in my book, includes the nonhumans. I'm not saying all of them. I circled Keiko in particular, better known as Willy.

After a morning "about town" I'm in my "bat cave" for the most part, occasionally bouncing upstairs to use the office. The outside temperature is down to 92 degrees Fahrenheit, was 98 earlier.

I just heard from Kerry Butson, after so many years since our co-worker days. She's in Illinois. We were both employees of a code school in California, she before me. I was brought in by Steve Holden, author of their Python course.

Since those days, I've continued to work in Python. Just today I was hacking on my Google slides about Quadrays, an XYZ-like coordinate system. I've been introducing them to UC Davis.

Dr. DiNucci gifted me with an air conditioner last year, when the original customer discovered she was disallowed such equipment by her Homeowner Association. She surrendered the unit in disgust and gave it to David to give away. It ended up in my living room.

A lot of Portlanders have traditionally gone without air conditioning, preferring to tough it out through the few truly hot days every summer. I was in that category until life made it really easy to add this perk.  Central air for the whole house would make the upstairs more habitable. The ball python doesn't seem to mind the status quo.

From my bat cave, I monitor local and global conditions. I also network and telecommute. The "bat mobile" in the driveway has proved serviceable lately.