Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Road Trip

One of my best experiences ever was joining dad on a biz trip to check out future school sites, the schools themselves being already on the drawing boards back in Thimphu. We set out in a Toyota Hilux, with a pro driver and another VIP from dad's office in the Ministry of Social Services.

We took our time (several days) wending our way through Wangdi Phodrang, Tongsa, Bumthang (Swiss Guest House), Mongar, all the way to Tashigang and Samdrup Jonkhar (sounds very Lord of the Rings I realize).

Then all the way back, by the same high mountain roads, spectacular in their heart pounding no guard rail glory (bidirectional, but only wide enough for one, with lots of blind corners (so drivers use the horn a lot (and pray a lot))).

I met some wild personages on this trip, including this Canadian WUSC volunteer in Village Nowhere (I forget which dzongkhag), unfathomably gorgeous in both mind and body, but not out of place in this thunder dragon abode (Druk Yul). I later returned with my future wife Dawn and daughter Alexia, to enjoy more blessings and good fortune.