Anyway (a) Sapphire Hotel had em on the menu and (b) I’d never been to Sapphire Hotel, which is in my neighborhood, where I’ve lived for over 30 years (the longest I’ve lived in any neighborhood). Sapphire Hotel is a restaurant, not a hotel.
I was reminded of going to The Fork long ago with Kiyoshi Kuromiya. Kiyoshi was a true foodie who wrote about Philadelphia eateries and in so doing helped elevate the tastes and cuisine of that entire city (per my narrative account anyway). When we showed up at The Fork that time, the staff was well aware this was Kiyoshi Kuromiya, the one and only. Great food by the way.
I’ll link to my Dinner with Kiyoshi in the comments, a play off the movie My Dinner with Andre. He was indeed a super interesting dude, a deep intellectual not only a gourmand. He’d started studying architecture with a focus on Louis Khan but then found Buckminster Fuller and felt he’d finally hit the jackpot. They became co-conspirators. Bucky called him “adjuvant” which is closer to “catalyst” than “lieutenant”.
In those days, I represented Friends (Quakers) to American Friends Service Committee (AFSC). To earn its reputation as working on behalf of Friends, AFSC would host these annual corporation meetups where they’d impress us with all their good works, and we’d spread the word. North Pacific Yearly Meeting insisted on paying my way, not accepting AFSC money for our visits, cuz we were in a sense auditing them and so should not be like unscrupulous members of congress who gladly allow lobbyists to wine and dine them (and so so much more) in exchange for protecting their own interests.
So I’d be in Philly anyway, for the corporation meeting, and I’d pad the trip with visits to old and new haunts, including meetups with CJ and Kiyoshi.
