Saturday, January 06, 2024

On Retreat

Am I in training to become an RV guy? One might think that, but more accurately, any RV training I get is a stepping stone towards when I operate a business mobile. This isn't about retiring and buying a luxury vehicle to use recreationally, much as that stuff goes on. More specifically, I'm on retreat, like a novelist at the coast, in a destination trailer, a 40CFK2 Cedar Creek Cottage, a "tiny house" by some measures.

One of those "be here now" teachings was to share a cautionary tale about always thinking ahead to the next thing. The meal you're about to have was the highlight of the day, from the standpoint of people preparing it, but you're on ahead wondering if the movie after will be good. You can't stop to enjoy anything because you mind a focused on the "not yet present". You've found a way to skip out on living your life, and heaven knows you might regret it.

All of which is to say, I'm being mindful of what a privilege it is to be a Friend in Residence in this particular club, if I dare call it that. I actually had to miss a club meeting this morning, a book club meetup, because I'm too busy making history buying snax (we went to a Walmart). 

Of course being a Friend in Residence comes with duties, ordinary and/or extraordinary chores, as required by Property Management. My assignment (this time) was to transplant three infant rhododendron bushes to a more shady location. Pick ax, shovel, wheelbarrow, gloves, potting soil, were among the tools I used. But I get plenty of study time too, and am blessed with more than adequate wifi. I'm free to pursue projects related to Peace and Social Concerns, partially overlapping with planning a Gathering for Carol (G4C) in collaboration with Portland Friends.

What do my "business mobiles" do, in the realm of business? They're recruiting vehicles in a lot of ways, traveling the country, showing up at schools. The Model UN might field a few, and Model NATO. I'm not bucking for a role with either of those operations, but you get the idea. I brought up the recruiter idea a lot around the time of Occupy Portland, given I was out talent scouting at the time, one among several. My peeps were mostly with Food Not Bombs. We used bicycles more than destination trailers for our work.