Monday, October 24, 2022

The Asylum Project

asylum_pod

What I tell people regarding Bitcoin is that I'll never be interested in having any myself unless it's easy to charge my wallet, from my bank account say, and spend the bits on burritos and other sundries, at a Food Pod that makes that easy.

A Food Pod is like a Food Court, made more international by the World's Fair franchise.  However the Pod consists of carts or trucks, which may be trundled away, leaving spots for new mobile restaurant kitchens.  

One of Portland's more famous Pods is Hawthorne Asylum Food Truck Pod, at the intersection of SE Madison and SE 11th.  Hawthorne Asylum is named in honor of the mental asylum, run by one Dr. Hawthorne, for whom the nearby Hawthorne Boulevard is named. 

However, the trucks are not equipped to accept Bitcoin easily.  I think the business model should be an experimental Pod that only takes crypto, but with an easy way to pay for some with your phone, much as Club Med used to exclusively take plastic beads for its optional purchases internally.

I know that refugee camps have been experimenting with crypto currencies, which brings me to the refugee camps the State of Oregon is considering.  I'm not saying my Vortex 1 + Country Fair + Rainbow Gathering + Occupy template has been accepted.  Calling it "a template" is a bit of a stretch, but we do know the State of Oregon has experience with at least a one of those models.

The reason life in a refugee camp might be interesting is it's a place to test prototypes, as well as therapies. Journalists are always welcome, and many will take cheap shots, as the faculty learns the ropes.  

Much needs to be invented.  Experimental community building (aka "nation building" on a smaller scale) is a job for social engineers with a secular background, not just for religious wonks.