Friday, July 29, 2022

Uncle Bill Stranded

Portland on Google Earth

I'm pretty sure Uncle Bill, age 97, is still stuck at Union Station.  I got a surprise call from the guy at 4:15, right before I was to start teaching class.  He was in Portland, here for the day, to see a different relative.  The only thing was:  he hadn't been able to reach said relative on the phone, yet he came anyway.  

I couldn't help.  My Python for High School was to start in 15 minutes.

The good news was that even if he was missing his 4 PM train, he'd get the next one back to Seattle around 6 PM.  He'd make it to Union Station by taxi.  Good plan.  I encouraged him to high tail it down there.

As it turned out, however, the Steel Bridge was "having issues" (due to the heat we think) and Amtrak trains were stranded on both sides, going nowhere.  

Or was the one in Tacoma having other issues?  Bill's ticket was (is) for the Coast Starlight, coming north.  I'm watching for updates on Twitter.

As for me, I need to get up early (alarm set for 5 AM) and start a next teaching gig.  I have a pretty full calendar this coming month.

We're in the middle of a heat wave in Portland.  Fortunately, I'll have completed my first session before it really heats up.  The course is mapped to the New York clock.  The headquarters are in Turkey.

Union Station