Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Alt Worlds


Thanks to Wanderer Bob Mcgown for cluing me about the above BBC special, which I watched start to finish across several Youtubes.  I'm pretty much snowed in; a day for studying.

The son of a quantum physicist tracks down what the story was. What was his dad really up to. They hardly talked while he was alive.

I tend to not think of "particles in transit" along specific trajectories, but of pressure building with a probability wave to "be seen" (materialize) collapsing in a discrete place.

The recipient [atoms] "see" (we could say "sense") the source through the double slit; a game of  quantum physics bingo determines which target actually gets to "tune in" the photon or whatever.

Putting detectors in harm's way means the collapse happens in the detector.  The receptive space (sensing surface) has changed its shape. In "transmission" it's a probability wave of finite speed, until detected.

However, talking like that may not make any difference to the mathematics. English offers a variety of grammars, complete with mental images, to fit the data.

I especially enjoyed the visit to Princeton University, with scenes of the "Dinky" (the suburban train from the campus out to Princeton Junction) and inside various halls and arches, part of my personal memory bank as well.

I've also been reading "Roger Rabbit's" thesis regarding cosmic gamma-ray bursts and one possible interpretation. It's making waves amongst some of my Facebook friends (the author, Charles Fleischer, did the voice for Roger Rabbit).