Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Blaming Castro

I wonder if anyone else'll pick up on this remark by CBS News National Correspondent Byron Pitts last night: "and by shipping Russian missiles to Cuba in 1962, Castro took the world closer to nuclear war than it's ever been."

So it's not a nuclear war if only other countries get it in the neck? This close to the anniversary of the atom bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I think we should cop to the fact that WWII went nuclear.

I'm not surprised Israeli military spokesmen keep sounding these little brother notes, trying to act so shockingly and awesomely brutal, just like their big brother king of the kill.

It's human nature to seek the admiration of role models.

Later that same night, I caught part of 48 Hours (which I don't usually): was Marilyn Monroe murdered because of her intimate and politically sensitive relationships with the Kennedy brothers?

That would seem far-fetched. I don't believe it. Neither did the principal journalist.

"Murder Inc." had much more on its mind than maid Marilyn back then (Fidel Castro for example -- and Diem). The Kennedys could be protected in other, more benign ways (until it became their turn -- and here I do believe in a cover up, per Prouty).