Wednesday, November 08, 2023

Real World BizMos

My science fiction around the business mobiles, the fleets, their responsibilities, is still future tense. However all the priors are in place, meaning crewed RVs have their fanbases, via YouTube and Patreon. A mom and pop RV team will ply the highways and byways of North America (stereotypically), with both high praise and damning testimony, vs-a-vs what may well be a challenging (but worth it?) lifestyle.

I was just watching such a team today, giving us the big picture: a couple hits the road, starts a fanbase, starts merchandising, and gets addicted to the sponsorships that start coming with the territory. If your channel has high viewer numbers, you're gold to those wishing product placement. And I'm totally down with this myself i.e. looking back, my bizmo teams were indeed going to weight and rate products, although I'm not saying always on request.

In my own Youtube channel, for example, I'll extol products, and yet I don't check the box saying there's a paid sponsorship involved, because there isn't. I'm capable of extolling products of my own volition, and do so.

Then, the couple continues, the grass starts to look greener in some other pasture. Veteran fans, who've enjoyed the BizMo Based Lifestyle (BBL) themselves, as hosts of their own channels, are now ready to retire to some alternative way of life. They continue as a cohort, representing those transitioning "from" instead of "to". Hey, that's a life chapter too.  Having been a One Band One Roader for some decades, it's time for that remote home that doesn't move so much (even if you still do).

I anticipated a lot of these technologies in my science fiction: Kickstart; YouTube; hypertext in general. These special case instances were answers to generic prayers. Prayers, as prophecies (per Thomas Paine), as dreams of the future, needn't be that specific.