Monday, July 12, 2021

Celebrating Allegra

Since the heatwave, which took Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas level temperatures, we've had pleasant summer weather. This morning I was able to do outdoor chores even in late morning, mowing, weeding and the like.

We live without air conditioning, although it's been offered. Power fans do the job. I'm still using oil heat in the winter as this house came with a muscular model and we're not hooked up to municipal gas lines.

Last night I shared about Allegra's passing with her friends and admirers on Curt McNamara's Trim Tab Book Club listserv. "Call me Trim Tab" it says on her dad's gravestone, a fitting epitaph.

I sat outside in the backyard with Glenn, as twilight spread, reminiscing about my several encounters with Allegra and her family over the decades.

I was lucky to be a contemporary, with a partially overlapping scenario.

D.W. Jacobs writes today on Facebook:
Today, is Bucky Fuller's birthday. Bucky was born July 12, 1895. Yesterday morning, his daughter, Allegra, passed away. I met her in early July, 1995, in San Diego at the Centennial celebration of Bucky's birthday. She was a major force in the world of dance. She danced in Balanchine's company, but then moved into dance ethnology. She was Chair of the UCLA dance department for 25 years, where she founded the Center for World Arts and Culture. 💖She was the best of friends and a mentor and guide for so many people all over the world. http://allegrafullersnyder.com/

Allegra