Saturday, March 19, 2016

Snake Escape!

DSCF3689

The Achilles Heel of a large snake aquarium is the lid, made of some kind of mesh with seams applied to four edges.  The other five sides are glass, but the lid has to be porous.  If a seam comes loose, good bye secure holding tank.  Barry got out.

Joel passed the news from Lindsey, staying in the Snake Room, that a python was on the loose near the deck door.  I'd cleaned the aquarium Friday before picking up Lindsey at PDX International.

Fortunately for us, I didn't have to turn the house upside down searching and had another much smaller aquarium at the ready that I could at least secure.  Tomorrow I'll need to check with the pet store on my options.  Barry can spend the night in this smaller tank.

In other news, the HTC One M9 came with Lollipop, which sent me into a First World Problem tizzy.  I was expecting Marshmallow.  Upgrading does not seem that hard.  William Brown, a former O'Reilly School student, came by and rescued me from my blue funk, treating me to 10 Cloverfield Lane at The Bagdad.

Sometimes one's karma gets heavy, like in said movie, wherein disaster is the theme.  What if the ETs do come?  They might not be friendly.  How friendly would we be if left to spread unchecked, across the galaxy?  Checking historical precedents, one might conclude "not very".

Those who specialize in the "science of worry" (risk management) try to prioritize what to fear.  Should we be defending against machines taking over?  Depends on what that means.  In many dimensions they already have.

Taking over where drudgery was the norm is not necessarily a bad thing.  But what counts as "drudgery" and so on.  Will humans be smart enough to let themselves not work at meaningless tasks, just to "earn the right" to have a life.

Engaging in useless tasks for no reason is called "not having a life" where I come from.

Lindsey was very calm about the snake on the loose.  She asked how long it had been free.  "At least a day" I speculated.  "Cool" she said.

Walker is feeling pretty weak in the meditation department.  I transferred her to friends in the FNB network for healing.  She needs to recover her strength.

Thanks to Ron Braithwaite for dropping by this afternoon and joining me on an errand.

DSCF3686