Friday, January 12, 2018

Curating Credits


As a kid, one of my hobbies was using the parental tape recording unit to capture my favorite opening credit sequences on tape.  Cassette tape.

By "opening credit sequence" I mean where they get you with imagery, theme music, names of actors, directors, producers... all that.

I recognized the talent that goes into establishing the atmospherics for a program in but seconds.  In computer terms, we're talking about a boot loader, or a context switch.

Anyway, along those lines, I'd like to give my own award to Westworld (HBO), for really fine stage setting.  The technology suggested is way higher than we have, and answers questions that might nag like:  can you do a human eye?

"We can" say the credits, and so much more.  That's the premise, however fantastic.  Science fiction is characterized by wild sets of premises, is it not?