Thursday, December 14, 2006

Café Philosophique

coffee shop data
(click for larger view)
Nirel is flying up to Seattle to talk business with potential backers today, regarding her coffee shop dream. That's got me thinking. Here I am, in a coffee shop, using free wireless, sipping an egg nog latte, conversing with other people in chairs. What educational services might we provide to folks in such circumstances? My mind wandered, resulting in this piece at the Math Forum: Coffee Shop Math.

The flatscreen on a pillar, at the corner of the coffee bar, is partly to blame for my reverie. One widget I don't mention in my essay: the Cost of the War in Iraq ticker, somewhere around $350.148 billion, racking up hundreds of thousands between sips.

I'll snap a photo of this flatscreen display for later inclusion in this post.